Research facilitation and management for Newfoundland and Labrador's offshore industry
Lead PI: Dr. Helen Zhang
Subject Category: Health, Safety and the Environment
Start Date: 2013
End Date: 2016
Institution / Organization: Memorial University
This project will investigate a possible alternative environmentally friendly oil spill recovery method. Specifically, the study will focus on effective and environmentally friendly biosurfactant-based dispersants applicable to the environmental conditions of offshore Newfoundland and Labrador.
(1) Cai, Q.H., Zhang, B.Y., Chen, B., Song, X., Zhu, Z.W. (2014) Screening of biosurfactant producing bacteria from offshore oil and gas platforms in North Atlantic Canada. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment (Submitted).
(2) Cai, Q.H., Zhang, B.Y., Chen, B., Cao, T., Lv, Z. (2014) Biosurfactant produced by a Rhodococcus erythropolis mutant as an oil spill response agent. Water Quality Research Journal of Canada (Accepted).
(3) Cao, T., Zhang, B.Y ., Chen, B., Cai, Q.H. (2014) Biosurfactant Production by Rhodococcus Erythropolis Sp. SB-1A Isolated from North Atlantic Ocean: Study on the Influence of culturing Conditions and Production Kinetics. Environmental Systems Research (Accepted).
(4) Cai, Q.H., Zhang, B.Y., Chen, B. and Li, P. (2014) Behavior of Corexit dispersants in the Gulf of Mexico after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Proceedings of the International Conference on Marine and Freshwater Environments (iMFE 2014), August 6-8, 2014, St. John's, Canada. MOS1138:1-12.
(5) Song, X., Chen, B., Zhang, B.Y. and Li, P. (2014) The modelling of ecological effects of chemically dispersed oil in typical marine species in offshore Newfoundland. Proceedings of the International Society for Environmental Information Sciences (ISEIS) 2014 Annual Conference, August 6-8, 2014, St. John's, Canada. OCR1339: 1-12.
(6) Song, X., Zhang, B.Y., Chen, B., Cai, Q.H. and Lye, L. (2014) Identification of typical biomarkers in dispersed oil in baffled flask test. The International Conference on Marine and Freshwater Environments (iMFE 2014), August 6-8, 2014, St. John's, Canada (abstract/oral presentation).
(7) Cai, Q.H., Zhang, B.Y., and Cao, T., (2014) Improved production of Trehaloselipid by a Rhodococcus wratislaviensis mutant, Arctic Oil and Gas North America conference, March 26-27, 2014, St John's, Canada (poster).
(8) Cai, Q.H., Zhang, B.Y., and Zhu, Z.W. (2013) Isolation of biosurfactant producers from marine sources for offshore oil spill responses in harsh environments. The BIT’s 3rd Annual World Congress of Marine Biotechnology, September 23-25, Hangzhou, China (poster).
(9) Cai, Q.H., Zhang, B.Y., and Chen, B. (2013) Screening of biosurfactant producers from oil contaminated samples of marine origin. The 36th Arctic and Marine Oilspill Program (AMOP) Technical Seminar on Environmental Contamination and Response, June 4-6, Halifax, Canada (abstract/oral presentation).